At Monte Design, we are committed to minimizing the negative impact we have on the environment and our well being. We also believe something cannot be truly modern without being sustainable.
Our goal is to produce exceptionally comfortable, healthy, non-toxic and design-driven products that you will be proud to own.
We believe your home should be free of chemicals such as flame or fire retardants. Here are a few steps we have taken to make our products better for the environmental and your health:
- Our foam is locally manufactured in part from natural seed-based oils such as soybean, significantly decreasing the dependence on fossil fuels like petroleum and ultimately lessening greenhouse gas emissions. It is halogen free and free of mercury, lead and other heavy metals. It does not contain any CFC's, PBDE's or TDCPP (Tris). Our foam is also free of any harmful flame retardant chemicals (FR's).
- Our foam is low emission (low VOC) contributing to a safe and clean indoor air quality. For additional information on our foam please visit (www.certipur.us) and BioH (www.bioh.com).
- All our wood meets the requirements of the LEED Rating System for wood adhesives (no urea formaldehyde added), and the glue used in frame construction is water-based and biodegradable. Further, the wood we use is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) meaning forestry companies are independently audited to meet the FSC's strict forest management standards.
- Our suppliers re-plant an average of 3-4 trees for each one harvested.
- Our microfibers and threads are manufactured according to Oeko-Tex® Standard 100, meeting globally uniform and scientifically-based test criteria (textile and human ecologically relevant). This standard ensures that no hazardous chemicals are used in the manufacturing of our microfibers and threads. (www.oeko-tex.com)
- Our patented gliding and reclining mechanisms are made of 95% recycled steel and are free of lead-based paint or finishes. The mechanisms are made with low-solvent, water-based paints and no-solvent powder coating materials, thereby reducing or eliminating solvent air emissions and solvent waste.
- All our shipping boxes are made from over 95% recycled materials.
- Our products are custom made in our local Toronto warehouse to ensure high quality and customer satisfaction.
These are only part of an on-going effort at Monte Design to manufacture the safest, healthiest furniture and to lessen the impact we have on our delicate eco-system. While our goal is to provide exceptional comfort and style for our children through our furniture, we also want to ensure that we provide a safe and healthy environment for their future.